The Second IASTED International Conference on
Intelligent Systems and Robotics
November 9 – 10, 2017
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
PANEL SESSION PROPOSAL
Thank you for your interest in organizing a Panel Session for ISAR 2017. Outlined below are the guidelines for organizing and submitting a panel session.
WHAT IS A PANEL SESSION?
A panel session is a forum where experts engage in discussion on a topical subject. The discussion serves to highlight various viewpoints and dissenting ideas and to foster audience participation. The goal of a panel session is not for the audience and panel to reach a consensus, nor is it to convince others of the fallacy of their thoughts; rather, the aim is to cultivate greater understanding of complex and often contentious issues.
There is no specific size for a panel; however, between three and five panel members makes for a coherent, lively, and interesting discussion. A panel session is open to all conference delegates and does not include paper submissions.
In order to ensure that a panel session is of sufficient length to provide substantial and in-depth discussion of key issues, sessions will be one hour in length.
The following are requisites for a successful panel session:
- Active Audience Participation: The success of a panel session relies on an active audience that raises difficult and valid questions and is willing to challenge the thoughts and opinions of the panel participants.
- Knowledgeable Panel Participants: The backbone of a panel session is charismatic, knowledgeable, and prepared panel participants who hold divergent opinions.
- Effective Moderator: It is important that an organized moderator oversee a panel session to ensure that it runs in a structured, coherent, and flowing manner. The role of the moderator includes introducing the topic of discussion and the panel members, asking participants questions, and assuring that the discussion remains on topic and on time.
- Topical Subject: The best subjects for panel discussions are clear, concise, relevant, and interesting.
PROPOSING A PANEL SESSION
If you are interested in proposing a panel session, either as a moderator or as a panel member, please send an email titled "ISAR 2017 - Panel Session Proposal" to [email protected]. Your email should include the following:
- Title of panel session.
- Short description/brief abstract of panel session.
- Name and short biography listing the qualifications of the panel session moderator.
- Names of 3-5 panel members.
- Several examples of questions or issues that will be addressed by the panel.
Unless otherwise requested, panel sessions are one hour in length.